Tricks & Tips for training success
Starting with the fundamentals of basic dog training is important in the communication process between a canine and their human.
Here are some pointers for getting your dog training in the right direction!
- Make sure your dog knows what's being asked of him, remember your dog doesn't speak English.
- Teach your dog that doing the behaviors you want is ALWAYS good new for them!
- Remember that dogs learn MUCH more effectively from positive reinforcement than from punishment.
- Catch your dog being good! Reward him with praise and treats when he is calm and quiet.
- Recognize your dog is learning the "right" behavior that you want, remember dog's don't have morals.
- Give your dog a reason to be excited and happy to see you and please you. This strengthens your relationship with your canine which will has a positive outcome for their training.
- Set your dog up for success, make sure they are ready to be off leash before you put them in an environment with distractions.
- Training in brief sessions, no more than 5-10 minutes each, 2 -3 times per day
- Remember to treat intermittently and "jackpot" occasionally, to keep your dog interested
- Spay or neuter your pet. it is important for bother his and her health and behavior AND helps control the pet population
- Remember, if your dog fails to obey, go back to the point where he last succeed, and start from there
- Management is as important as training. For example, put the trash can in a cupboard or closet so your dog can't get into it in the first place
- Understand that some "undesirable" behaviors are intrinsically rewarding. Make doing something positive MORE rewarding
- See your vet regularly. Many behavior issues can be caused by physical problems